June 13, 2013

Save the Bees!

I think most of us have been aware that bees are dying at alarming rates and as researchers have found much of it has to do with toxic chemicals or pesticides being heavily sprayed on crops all over the Unites States.

bee

My husband and I like to keep our children informed of environmental issues when appropriate. The boys are 4 and 6 but still care about the world, especially plants and animals AND bugs of any sort!

After I told my oldest son that the bees are dying in part because of pesticides he asked, "Why don't farmers stop spraying pesticides so the bees can stay alive?" I had to explain that not everyone thinks the same way we do. You can read this article, and many others, regarding the problems/pesticides at PAN (Pesticide Action Network).

This bee conversation happened to be right around his 6th birthday and he wanted to take fun snacks to school for a special treat and decided he wanted bees and responsibly told his classmates why he wanted bee themed snacks and told them why the bees are dying off!!

These very simple bees are made from yellow paper glued on clothespins. I drew stripes on the paper with a sharpie marker before I cut out the strips so I didn't have to do it 25 times! Then I glued on googly eyes and bent a black pipe cleaner for the antennae.

Then using resealable snack sized bags fill each side (twisted in the center) with snacks and secure with a bee! The kids in my son's class were thrilled about the bees flying them all over the room! It was adorable!

bee

Save the bees!

No comments:

Post a Comment