March 31, 2012

Cream of Broccoli Soup

Every Wednesday night at my house is soup night. We all decide on a soup and try to make something new each week. With soup it's really not that hard. There are a million soups and often times I find myself using up veggies and other ingredients I have on hand in the fridge and pantry.


This is a great way to get kids to eat broccoli. My kids are pretty good about eating veggies but broccoli is not one of them. They can't see whole pieces of broccoli since this is blended and they love it!

This recipe is modified slightly from the book - CIA Book of Soups. You can find it at Barnes and Noble or on Amazon.

Cream of Broccoli Soup
1 16oz pkg broccoli
3 T. olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
2 small celery stalks, chopped
1/4 c. flour
4-5 c. chicken broth
1/2 c. milk
salt and pepper to taste
juice of half a lemon

In a large stock pot heat oil and add broccoli, onion and celery. Cook until veggies are tender. I like to use the organic packages of fresh broccoli. I can't find organic any other way but you could substitute regular fresh broccoli, just weigh it to get an approximate amount.

Add in flour and stir to combine. Cook 3-5 minutes to cook off the flour taste making sure the flour doesn't burn.

Add in broth, stir again to combine. Let simmer 15-20 minutes. Remove from heat. Using an immersion blender (my favorite new kitchen item) blend soup until it is smooth. I got my Cuisinart SmartStick Immersion Blender at Sur la Table but you can find then just about anywhere. If you don't have an immersion blender transfer soup to a blender and blend.

Return to heat and add milk. Stir to combine. Add lemon juice, salt and pepper. Serve hot with a little sprinkle of your favorite cheese!

No comments:

Post a Comment