March 12, 2012

Handmade Easter Baskets

When I was a little girl I adored my Easter basket and couldn't wait to find it filled with Cadbury Creme Eggs each year. My basket was woven with yellow and pink rubbery plastic tubes. If you are thirty-something you can probably relate to what I am talking about. You might have even had something similar!


When it came time to buy Easter baskets for my boys I desperately searched for the same woven type of basket that I had grown up with. I found a plethora of Lightning McQueen, Buzz Lightyear, Star Wars and thin wooden woven baskets that were bound to put splinters in my tots fingers. To me, none of them were acceptable. When I can't find something I like, I make it instead.


Although my boys are still young they have looked forward to getting out their Easter baskets each year and haven't even asked about the themed baskets they see at Target. I am so happy.



The baskets were woven with wool yarn over plastic grid sheets and lined with felt. I slipped a piece of cardboard between the woven plastic and the felt to give it some strength. I whip stitched the pieces together with yarn.

No comments:

Post a Comment